TO UPLOAD FILES INTENDED FOR STREAMING, PLEASE USE SHARESTREAM PICK-N-PLAY AND FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW:
A. ACCESS SHARESTREAM PICK-N-PLAY IN YOUR BLACKBOARD COURSE SITE
B. UPLOAD MEDIA FILES TO "MY WORKSPACE" (this does NOT add files to your course collection)
C. ADD/MOVE MEDIA FILES FROM "MY WORKSPACE" TO "COURSE COLLECTION"
A. ACCESS SHARESTREAM PICK-N-PLAY IN YOUR BLACKBOARD COURSE SITE:
1. Log in to Blackboard at https://campus.georgetown.edu as an instructor and click on your course site link where you would like to upload content to ShareStream's Pick-n-Play.
2. Once in the Blackboard course site, click on Tools in the course menu.
3. On the Tools page, click on ShareStream Pick-n-Play.
NOTE: If Pick-n-Play is not displayed, go to the Control Panel of your course site and do the following:
- Tool Availability
- Place a check mark next to ShareStream Pick-n-Play under the column titled Available
- Scroll up or down and click on the Submit button. This will make Pick-n-Play available and visible on the Tools page. Now go back to the Tools page and click on ShareStream Pick-n-Play.
Additionally, you may need to enable third-party cookies in your browser. Certain browsers have third-party cookies disabled by default. Go to your browser's privacy settings and check the option to enable third-party cookies, or allow an exception for ShareStream. See the Help Documentation for your browser for instructions.
The ShareStream Pick-n-Play application will open within your Blackboard Learn window. ShareStream Pick-n-Play opens on the Course Collection tab, where your media will appear once you have uploaded media and added it to your Course Collection.
B. UPLOAD MEDIA FILES TO "MY WORKSPACE" (this does NOT add files to your course collection):
To upload your media, you will go to the My Workspace page in ShareStream Pick-n-Play. My Workspace is a personal storage location for instructor media. Your media is only viewable by you when it is in My Workspace; it is not viewable by students or other users with privileges to your course. ONLY after you have added the media assets from My Workspace into your Course Collection page, will the media assets be viewable by students and other users with privileges to your course.
1. To upload a media asset, click on the My Workspace tab.
2. Click on Upload Media (either the large button to the left of the media player, or the menu option at the top of the My Workspace tab).
3. The Upload popup window opens prompting you to select your media asset. Do one of the following:
- Click on the Drop/Click to Select Media File button, and browse to locate and select the media asset on your computer's file directory; OR
- Drag and drop a media asset onto the Drop/Click to Select Media File button. (Note: Drag and drop is not currently supported in the Internet Explorer browser.)
4. Enter information about this media asset: the Title, Contributor (you can check "Me" as the Contributor), and Description.
5. Click on the Add Media button. A progress bar will appear, providing you with real-time feedback on the progress of the upload.
6. When the media asset is finished uploading, you will see a prompt to upload more files. Click No for now to go to the next step with your first media file.
7. A Processing icon appears in the My Workspace gallery until the file is ready for your use. When the file is available, the Processing icon will be replaced with a thumbnail of the media asset you have just uploaded. Your media asset is now uploaded to the My Workspace tab, where you can prepare your media asset for your students before adding it to your course collection.
Note: You can always return to My Workspace to add more media assets and perform other tasks in preparation for adding your media assets to your Course Collection.
C. ADD/MOVE MEDIA FILES FROM "MY WORKSPACE" TO "COURSE COLLECTION":
Now that you have uploaded your media asset to your My Workspace page, your next step is to add the media asset to your Course Collection.
1. On the My Workspace tab, select the checkbox next to the thumbnail for your media asset.
2. Click on Add to Course. A dialog box opens for you to select a destination folder in your Course Collection.
3. Select the folder you would like to add the media asset to, and then click Done.
Note: As you are just getting started with ShareStream and have not set up a directory structure with folders within your Course Collection, you have only one folder for your Course Collection. Later on, you can create folders and subfolders to organize your course media into a folder directory. After you have created a folder directory for your course media, you will be able to send media assets from your My Workspace page to a specific folder in your Course Collection.
4. You will see a confirmation message when the file is added. Click the X to close the popup window.
5. Click on the Course Collection tab, and you will see the media asset you have just added to the Course Collection. Note: You may see a placeholder thumbnail while the media asset is still processing.
When the media asset has completed processing, you will see it in your Course Collection. Unlike your My Workspace page, which is only viewable by you, the Course Collection page is available to all users with privileges for your course.
You have now completed the basic steps to upload media assets into ShareStream and add your media assets to your course collection.
TO UPLOAD DOWNLOADABLE FILES TO SHARESTREAM USING SHARESTREAM'S MEDIA MANAGER, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:
If you create audio or video files (for example, recordings of lectures) that you would like to make available to your students, you may request permission to manage your own course collection. This will give you the ability to upload media, to enter metadata for media, and to organize media within the course.
To request permission to manage your course in Media Service:
- Main Campus: Faculty other than FLL may contact the Lauinger Library Access Services Department at 202-687-7607, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person at the Circulation Desk, 3rd Floor, Lauinger Library
- FLL: Faculty may contact the Language Learning Technology Center (ICC 226)
- Medical Center: Instructional Technology Lab (Lower Level, Dahlgren Library) at DMLITL@georgetown.edu
Note: Media hosting on the Media Service must comply with Georgetown University copyright policies.
2. Under Library, on the left, click on your course.
3. If you wish to create a new folder for your audio file, right-click on your course, and choose Add Collection. Under TITLE of the resource to be described, type in the desired name of the folder. Then, press Save Collection.
4. Right-click on the folder in which you want to put the audio file, then left-click on Add Asset.
5. Under TITLE of the resource to be described, type in the name of the audio file that you would like students to see.
6. Under CONTRIBUTOR, type in the name of the creator of the audio file, whether yourself or a publishing house.
7. Under DATE, type in the year the audio file was created. (The exact year doesn't matter - the important thing is that a valid year is entered).
8. Click on the Asset Media File(s) tab (in blue).
9. Under UPLOAD DOWNLOADABLE FILE, click on the Browse... button. Find the file you wish to upload, and double-click on it.
10. Below this, select Individually Owned as well as Downloadable.
11. Click on Save Asset at the top-left of the page.
The file is now ready for your students to use. You can ask the students to verify that they have access to the required media files.