By electing the Automated Blackboard Course Combination Service, a separate, combined course site will be created for each set of multiple course sections for which you are an instructor. For example, if you are teaching two sections (01 and 02) of ENGL-101 and you have elected the Automated Blackboard Course Combination Service, three course section sites will be created:
- ENGL-101-COMB1 (the combined section)
Once you elect the service, combined courses will be created automatically each semester for all of your qualifying course sites (see below for applicable/qualifying situations).
The following situations apply to the Automated Blackboard Course Combination Service (for situations such as below, please take advantage of this option to have your course site combined automatically):
- An instructor is teaching ALL sections of a course (e.g. ENGL-101 sections 01 through 10, and there are only 10 sections of this particular course)
- An instructor is teaching SOME sections of a course (e.g. ENGL-101 01 - 05, but not 06 - 10)
- Instructor A and B are teaching sections 01 - 05, and instructors A and C are teaching sections 06 - 10, then by default, two combined courses will be created, one for each group of sites, with instructors A and B in the first combined site (ENGL-101-COMB1) and instructors A and C in the second combined site (ENGL-101-COMB2)
The following situations do NOT apply to the Automated Blackboard Course Combination Service (The university plans to support additional types of automated course combinations, such as in the examples below, in the future. As of now, please open a ticket through the UIS Service Center and submit a course combination request as before):
- An instructor is teaching ENGL-101-01 and HIST-101-01, and they are the same course (cross-listed courses)
- Instructor A is teaching ENGL-101-01 and instructor B is teaching ENGL-102-01, and both instructors would like to have a single combined site for the two classes
- An instructor is teaching ALL sections of a course (e.g. ENGL-101 sections 01 through 10), but wants only 01 - 05 of the 10 sections combined
How to Enroll in the Automated Blackboard Course Combination Service
1. Log in to Blackboard and click on any of your course sites (past or present) where you have an Instructor role.
2. In the Control Panel, click on Packages and Utilities, then click on Automated Course Combination Service Enrollment.
3. On the "Automated Course Combination Service Enrollment" page, select the "Enroll" option and click on the Submit button.
If you would like to disenroll from the service at a later date, simply follow the same steps here and select the "disenroll" option.
4. A green confirmation message will be displayed at the top of the page: Successfully changed automated course combination service enrollment status for NetID 'yournetid" to: enrolled. The next time the Blackboard system updates, your new automatically combined course site(s) will be in Blackboard.
Please note the following important information about course combinations:
- The existing course sections will be combined into a new, "COMB" section site. The course ID of the new combined course site will include "COMB1" (or in some cases "COMB2", "COMB3", etc.) in the place of the section number (e.g., ENGL-101-COMB1.Fall2015).
- The combined section site will be in addition to the already existing sections.
- The combined section site will include the student enrollments from all the sections that were included in your combination request, but will NOT include any pre-existing content from the individual section sites.
- The combined section site will NOT include any Sharestream content that was associated with any of the individual sections that were included in your combination request. Instructors will need to contact university support staff (Lauinger Library Access Services, GUMC, LLT) with a request to associate their content with the new, "COMB" site.
- The combined section site will be "Unavailable" to the students by default upon creation. Instructors will need to make it "Available" in order for students to access it.
- After the combined site has been created, any student who registers for any of your individual sections referenced in your "COMB" site will automatically gain access to the combined section as well.
- We ask that you please verify that the combined site reflects student enrollment from the individual sections.